Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 10- Holy Crunchy's Church

(There is a Crunchy's electronics, automotive, gifts, and consignment shop and Jose thought it was also a church.  Lisa also said we needed to incorporate Holy into our title of the day.)

I woke up with foreboding, honest I did, and time did not lie.  We ate at Mrs. Chocs and then off to Yalbac.  Mrs. Choc made us spaghetti for breakfast and it tasted like Nanny's spaghetti :)  I packed some away for lunch.  The mosquitoes were so thick that I was often swarmed.  I was very lucky to have a good scarf, pants, boots, and rain coat to keep me mostly covered.  Cleofo and I collected plants from an area that Andrew, Lisa's former grad student, surveyed recently.  We took only a 20m circle around a mound, structure 2D, to survey first. Cleofo identified 30 plants in that area, mainly trees.  I took careful notes of their usages and such.  We finished with the complete plant survey of this region around 1pm and I spent the rest of the day taking notes of what I had done, writing down the image number beside the plant information (I took photos of all the plants), and then helping scratch at a possible area of interest.  That was fun!  I found some small broken things, which was awesome in and of itself.

After working, we rode back to Banana Bank and had 10 minutes to change and get back to the car.  I did a complete wardrobe change.  Also, update from Day 9, Tara fell and twisted her ankle (or did something damaging to it).  She went out to work on Day 10, but, with much hobbling.  Luckily, we have a resident physician, Dr. Robbyn, who is on call as an EMT (I think) when she is at home.  Whatever her job, she gets to ride in ambulances and help victims.  She brought a mega kit of tools to help in any emergency.

After getting back into the car, we all rode to town together.  We ended up being able to fit 8 people in the back of Lisa's truck, 3 in the back seat, and then Lisa and her niece (who gets car sick) up front.  It was an awesome but smooshed ride.  I got a small carton of milk and a small thing of ice-cream (which was gone in 15 minutes).  I also bought hoards of newspapers which I used in my plant press later, when I discovered my incredible lack of enough materials.  I have attempted to correct the situation today (when Lisa went into town by herself again and I sent instructions).  Steve helped me put the plant press together later that night and we never could figure out the straps.  I am about to try to fix that actually.  Steve also managed to buy a movie not yet available in the US, which was pretty awesome.  I mailed my postcards, and they should be arriving at their destination (dearest Mother) in 10-12 days.

Supper was good, but Steve and I were late because of our struggles with the plant press.  I spent the evening after supper looking over Andrew's dissertation again (yet not enough I as I found out), and attempting to locate something important that I had lost (which is shocking I know).  Hopefully, it will turn up sometime, but, I freaked out about it last night and will not freak out again until maybe later :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment