Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 12- Guatamala

So, today we actually got to work in the field.  I mapped my plant collection region, collected the last of the plants in that region since we got rained out Wednesday right in the middle of collecting, and then mapped 500 meters inland or over 1,640 feet.  It was a long walk in the thick of mosquito territory, and also army ant territory.  We had to cross a mound of them (that was well over a 1 meter circle) and I had to stand right next to the mound while they walked on with my measuring tape.  It bugged me worse than the mosquitoes and I was dancing and shaking myself and swatting frantically at ants for probably a good 15 minutes.  It was funny and not so funny all at the same time.

At noon, we headed out and arrived back at Banana Bank just in time to finish packing and head across the river to meet our tour bus.  I packed more than everyone else by far, and it was actually the lightest I think I have ever packed.  Still working on not packing the books, water bottle (there is no good water in Guatemala), and laptop, etc.  Oh well.  We picked up a very interesting couple that had to be in their 60s at least (the man had served in the British military in 1969 and possibly before).  He had some fun stories to share.  We picked up him and his wife (who is from Belize) and two of their grandsons on our way to the border.  We easily passed customs and immigration and then took another bus to a convenience store- where I found Steve some Frosted Flakes.  Our hotel is gorgeous- I wish I had taken some pics before the sun went down :(  We are right next to a body of water and also a mountain.  There is an incredible dock that I wanted so much to explore but decided to feed my stomach instead- that's an adventure for tomorrow AM now!

So, I am now in yet another country, and loving the scenery yet again.  I don't think I will ever be able to return to the flatlands again!  However, I will enjoy the lack of mosquito swarms for sure.  Also, I yelled for joy in the shower earlier- they have hot water here!!!  I had forgotten how much I adore a warm shower.  I have gotten so much in the habit of singing in the shower and quickly rinsing off and getting goosebumps just to get clean that I had forgotten how good a shower can really be.  Surprising what 2 weeks can do to your memory.

Tomorrow, we are going to visit Tikal and then going zip-lining.  I cannot wait!  Both activities will be simply awesome.  I am super excited about Tikal, of course.  It is in such good preservation and is so large and everything that I am ready to be shocked and thrilled out of my mind.  And then zip-lining!  I am a big thrill-activity lover and nature lover.  So, this is the best of both worlds.  Can't wait!!!

1 comment:

  1. When I went to Cuba, I forgot what a non-freezing shower was like too. I look forward to hearing about Tikal! I know it's something you've really wanted to see for awhile. It can be really enlightening to see ancient cities preserved well.

    ReplyDelete