Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 6-

By the way, I realized that we have not been going to bed when I thought we were, at 900pm.  That was what my computer said because it is still set to US time.  We have had lights out by 800.  That's pretty incredible for 3 college girls.  It was a very hot night and I have never sweated so much in my sleep!  Luckily, I had the fan on, but, it didn't stop the horrendous heat.  I had my first actual nightmare (to me) in like forever.  So, I guess hot nights give me bad dreams :(

We woke up on time, and got to Mrs. Chocs for breakfast of corn tortilla, bean paste and fried chicken.  Yes, fried chicken (that I didn't eat) for breakfast.  If Clark is reading this, tell him it was a first for all of us too, and we are all "grown-ups".  I again braided Kayla's hair.  We got to the site around 730 and started setting up a grid for one single unit.  I emphasize this one, single unit because it took us until 1100 to get it in correctly- one measly 2x1 unit!  I asked, as we finally finished, how long does it take 11 archaeologists to put in one unit?  Answer, a very long time!  Of course, it had to be exactly 1m on 2 sides and 2 m on 2 sides, and with all sides matching NS or EW axis.  Often the NS axes were off, causing us to start all over again.  Or, the sides were 1-3cm off, causing us to start all over again.  Even if just one side was off, it was a disaster.  I won't go in to the ends and outs of how we did it all, but below is a photo of how we did measurements.  I actually got a little ticked at one point and began to give my personal opinion on how it should be measured and what instruments should be used and such.


Before we started putting in the units, the guys showed us how to use our machetes.  I don't really have good form, so, Steve was forever correcting me.  But, eventually I almost cut him, so, our lessons stopped.  Luckily, all of our machetes were so dull you would have had to use them as clubs to really hurt someone.

For lunch, we had rice and beans with tomatoes and chilis.  It was sooooo awesome.  I even got some extra rice left over from Elle's lunch.  Robyyn brought her ipod and speakers, so, we listened to the Beatles as we ate.  I also found a large vine that I could swing on during our machete lesson, so, I swang on that for a bit.

We practiced siting from a permanent transverse point and the guys built a cute little hut around out unit.

After that, we started in mapping yet another unit, this one on a hill.  So, we thought it was going to be horrible.  It was 130 and we were tired.  But, we mapped it correctly on our first try!  And spent the rest of the time mapping it to the traverse point near the main site, that we were working on yesterday.  Now, I am about to go swimming again, hopefully with people I know or alone, and get some ice-cream!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nightmares, frustrating units and dull machetes are all sad things. But yay for swimming and ice cream! :D

    ReplyDelete