Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 15- Dramatic reading of "Old English" field notes

Back to the field.  We were really worried yesterday about the rain, like super worried.  But, magically, today it was an excellent field day.  It started out with very foreboding looking dark gray skies (I could almost here the eminent downpour).  But, it never happened and actually the sky cleared up and we had sunny skies until the sun set today.  That was very encouraging in some ways; however, when you are collecting plants in the jungle and then are forced to enter a clearing where you don't even have canopy to cut some of the heat, it is oppressive.  But, it was a good reminder that there was definitely no rain and, as Chris explained to me after I had entered the "coolness" of the jungle again, there were also no mosquitoes that dared go into the open area.  So, there were some good things about our 15 minutes of scorching heat.

I mapped the morning away with Cleofo and then we picked up Steve and Chris and headed inland 500 meters to collect again.  We did some measuring and began to collect plant samples.  It was much more dense than the collection areas around the Yalbac mounds, so, I have decided to alter my collection methods yet again.  It was a pretty intensive day since we collected for the entire day and then had to go home and press everything- and we now have over 100 separate species to identify-and we collected a lot today.  So, I hired Steve, at the price of using my computer for his various activities, to help me press my collections.  I have never seen a plant press go that high- and then Steve put his full weight on it and I pulled on the straps and it went on a flash diet and shrunk to about half its original size.  It was rather amazing if I do say so myself.

I re-found this morning out that I was supposed to give a lecture.  However, luckily, I had prepared the power point way in advance, back when I had plenty of spare time, and only had to throw in some extra images from our collections, what we do, random pictures of Steve, and my presentation was complete!  That was a good thing to, because, after Steve and I pressed all of my plants, labeled the pressed specimen, and documented it all in my notes, I had a little over half an hour to download the photos, finalize my presentation and make it to the restaurant to give my lecture.  I went to give my presentation at 600, and Dr. L wasn't there.  When she still hadn't come (she had taken her car to town earlier) by 10-after, I began.  At about 25 after, she arrived, explaining that the girl who had filled up her tank at the gas station had been talking on the phone and didn't understand her after she repeated 3 different times that she needed diesel and proceeded to put gasoline in her tank.  She then had to wait for a truck to empty her tank and then refill it.  The girl who filled it up's response?  To laugh.  Not a good thing to do when facing a ticked Dr. L!

So, I finished up my presentation in time to make us all a little bit late for supper, but, it was all good.  Random side note: Steve's sandals fell apart and he bought a needle and thread kit to try to sew them back together.  In the meantime, he is wandering around the Banana Bank grounds barefoot.

After supper, I returned to correct my notes (Dr. L had given Elle, Molly and I notes about our notes that we have been taking in the field).  Since my notes are longer and I haven't taken any for her in the past, etc. I had many a notation and many an addition to add for clarification purposes to my notes.  I proceeded to correct everything, and created a total page count for today of 17.  It is a pretty impressively long day for notes today.  I did not finish my to-do list for today, but, hopefully I will by tomorrow.  In the meantime, I am dreadfully sorry for any delays I have in getting back to everyone- I am barely able to keep up with work at the moment since we can actually work now (hurray!).  So, I will try to catch up as soon as possible.

Also, our passport situation will be resolved tomorrow and I found a replacement, via Dr. L, for the really important thing that I lost a little while back.  So, the last few days have gone swimmingly beautifully!  Hope this loveliness continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment