Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 9- Day of the Flood

Update on last night: We had mashed potatoes, green beans sauteed in butter and vinegar (or so it tasted like), mixed vegetables and carrot cake.  Steve was playing this little game called "steal everything off the table and hide it conspicuously where it can definitely be missed".  He did this repeatedly with the pepper shaker, Tara's notebook, Robbyn's iphone, and then Tommy's (who has been hanging with our entire group lately) and Carl/Fred's beer.  Tommy had 4 bottles on the table and Carl/Fred had 3.  Steve succeeded in stealing most of these and passing them to members of the table, who then passed them around and made them mysteriously appear on the table in front of them again.  It was a game that we were all laughing about for nearly an hour.

We woke up at the same time, to a little mist outside.  We packed up our gear (I took my plant stuff for the first time) and we drove to Mrs. Chocs.  Breakfast was excellent as usual and we sat for a few minutes eating- until the downpour hit.  I ran to get my backpack and raincoat that were in the back of the truck where I had been riding, after it kept getting increasingly stronger.  We were stuck at Mrs. Chocs for a good half hour after we had finished eating waiting for it to let up a bit so we could go home- not even trying for the site.

On the way back to Banana Bank, we pleaded with the people riding in the truck and succeeded in getting them to keep our stuff in the dry while we rode in the back.  I was especially insistent and whiny about my stuff since I had a GPS unit, among other things, stored in it.

On the ride home, we had our raincoats up, except for mine that I was half-sitting on.  On the ride, Jose asked how old I was, and was shocked to know that I was younger than him.  Happens every time.  I learned earlier today that he was in the first class I ever TA'd at UIUC- and the one I met Steve in.  So, that was very funny too.

We got home and Lisa gave us a lecture on the Maya underworld, concluding that the "sacrifices", as the tour guide told us, were not really sacrifices.  She defined them as "witches".  It was interesting and something that she had co-authored a paper on so I trust her more than I do our tour guide, who happened to say that he had felt spirits in the cave.

Lisa wanted us to go to the Belize Zoo, but, no one was really up for that.  I had to get some work done and the others were not enthused.  So, Lisa drove them 5 miles in to the nearest gas station and then left them to shop.  During that time, a torrential flood came.  So, by the time I saw them again, they were soaked to the core- even those who had rain jackets.

As for me, I worked up a job application for a TA position I want and am now trying to coax my e-mail into letting me send it using my UIUC address instead of my gmail address.  If that doesn't work- and I have been at this for a very long time, I will have to go back to using the basic html gmail function and try another route to send my app to my letter writer.  I have also been finalizing the methods I will employ in the field, trying to work up a lecture for next week (15 slides down!!), and an abstract for a conference in Texas in the Fall.  We shall see how I do.  I also want to finish my novel today, but, that might be too lofty a goal. 

We still have our pack lunches from Mrs. Choc, so, I will be consuming that shortly!  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment