Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 18- Lab Day

We got to sleep in today!  We thought breakfast was at 8:30, but, luckily, Elle went and checked and woke us all up at 7:20 saying that it was at 7:30.  I was very groggy as usual- and sat on the edge of my bed and looked off into the distance; she asked if I was ok.  I told her I look like death when I first wake up, but, I get over it.

Breakfast was great and afterward I looked up Caracol, our weekend destination, to see if it was worth it to spend money to go see it- it is an optional trip.  I rather thought it was.  Here is what I saw: http://belizex.com/caracol.htm.  It definitely made me want to go- especially the pools, rock slides and caves.  It actually made me miss Johnson Shut-Ins back home.

We all washed artifacts until lunch, and I ate lunch at the little restaurant instead of their pre-cooked dinner option.  It was a fun experience.  Then, back to washing artifacts.  A little after 2, I started work on plant stuff and photoed all my pressed specimen and numbered the photos in my field notebook- which took almost 4 hours, and then built a plant drier.  It looks fab if I do say so myself ;)  I felt quite accomplished for finishing all of that- even though I know it doesn't seem like much in words.

Dr. L and I are moving forward on the pollen side of my research- which excites me to no end!  And I have to send out e-mails after dinner regarding arrangements for the pollen samples collected during her earlier research (this summer prior to field school).  I am so excited to finally put to good use the information gleaned from pouring over pollen samples all Spring semester with Derek.

Tomorrow, the students are finishing up their lab work and I am finishing up my plant stuff before the weekend.  My goal is to have time for a swim tomorrow (I haven't had time to do anything at all lately) and maybe a smoothie............here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment