Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 29- Banana icees, plastic chair, Bad Romance

Up again after a night of heavy rain.  It was my first day of 530 in a long time, but, with work this entire weekend, I wasn't in a foul mood to be out working again.  It was a very pleasant day and I spent it all sitting around Cleofo's yard/garden- taking pictures of his plants, documenting them, etc.  It was a grand day because I didn't have to wear my long-sleeved shirt to keep the bugs away and I didn't acquire 1 new mosquito bite and I didn't even spray up!

My awesome moment of the day was when Cleofo and I were sitting in one part of his yard taking a break.  We drug his plastic chairs around us so we could sit and document everything- it was very relaxing.  And, we took a break around 9 when one of his daughters brought us both a plastic cup filled with a slushy of iced bananas- it was one of the most awesome frozen pops that I have ever had!  So, there we were relaxing in our plastic chairs, eating from plastic cups of awesomeness, when the neighbor next door's radio (who was listening to American pop music) started playing Lady Gaga's new single "Bad Romance".  It was an ironic and perfect moment.

Cleofo and I, once our surveys were done, talked over the plant names I had so far and I tried to write them down in every language he could think of: Spanish, English, Maya, Keche (Maya dialect).  I tried the "repeat after me" thing and all I got was laughs from Cleofo's wife and daughter.  I got done at Cleofo's a little after 1 and flagged down my very own bus to take me back to the Banana Bank turnoff.  I walked from there 2 miles down the rock road with my stuffed backpack back to Banana Bank.  It was quite the walk- in the full sun.  But, another good thinking opportunity.

I pressed all the specimen from today's work and then started work on forms that I need to go into town to turn in tomorrow.  So, another jungle-less day, and a day that requires me to dress to impress the people I am going to see.  So, I will have to pull off the "in charge but classy" look.  Should be a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment