Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 21- I found out what all I CANT do without Internet :)

I woke up right before 8 so I could take my field notes to Dr. L for reviewing.  I looked very groggy again, but managed to wake up after passing by a leaky hose and getting sprayed.  It was awesome actually because of our lack of air conditioning- the only time I feel comfortable is in the cold shower or when I get sprayed down or, in the field, step off into a puddle. 

I worked on identifying plants the entire day using my new favorite book: "Checklist of the Vascular Plants of Belize".  No pretty pictures, only page after page packed with text about plants in this area.  I talked to Dr. L about my rest-of-UIUC plan and got super excited.  It all sounds like fun, in a very, very nerdy way :)

Around noon we lost power, which was unfortunate because electricity is what powers the machines that make our lunches at the restaurant and I had had animal crackers for breakfast.  Also, the Internet also failed, which meant that there were e-mails I couldn't send out, things I needed to look up online that I couldn't, etc.  The students debated about ordering a pizza, but, in order to make it worth the pizza delivery guys' while, we had to order 10 pizzas- which would have cost about $100 US, or $200 Belize dollars.  The pay phone was also dead, and I had a minor mishap while trying to get a phone to work, so, I eventually gave up on calling home :(

The power came back on again a little before 2 and we all rushed to order lunch.  I got another strawberry/banana smoothie and it was amazing!  Then, around 4 our time, the Internet came back up again.  So, I started frantically e-mailing people in case it went off again!  Another great day :)

Also, something I forgot from yesterday was that our guide found out that I am the "plant girl" and made me identify plants all the time.  So, I was on call for our entire trip!  I was thankful to have Cleofo's notes in my head then.

Tomorrow, we start work again and I hopefully finish up the area I worked on last week before our lab days.  Then, we get to go into town again and my to-do list is a tad daunting, but all possible.  I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment