Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 24- "Yo Bus!"

While we were eating breakfast at the Choc's, Mrs. Choc and Cleofo's daughter wanted to catch the bus for Belmopan.  However, they didn't start out with enough time to really get to the road as the bus was going by, much less catch it.  Dr. L stood up and whistled really loudly, Mrs. Choc (who is not the skinniest lady I know) ran to try to catch the bus, and Steve yelled out "Yo Bus!" and it stopped.  So, it was a combined effort to flag down the bus, but, it ended up working out well. 

I got a new recruit- Kayla (the girl who flew with me out of St. Louis and is from O'Fallon).  We surveyed around 2 known house mounds, one of which Dr. L led a field school to excavate in 2001.  As we were plotting out where we were going to survey, Cleofo and I noticed that, between the 2 known mounds was a shorter raised area.  I had Cleofo put a stake in it to map it as a possible mound, and the stake had trouble going in because it immediately hit rock.  Encouraged, I dug with my trowel around the stake and, indeed, it was a mound.  I was very excited and immediately named my new mound after the date- 9710 (except that I mixed up my Junes and Julys and now the poor mound has a GPS name that doesn't really make any sense whatsoever.  Oh well!

I had been trying to mess with the UTM locations given to me by Dr. L's last graduate student, who was using a system set up in 1927 and I one from 1984.  So, the conversions went long and I eventually started putting them to last priority behind actual field stuff.  Fortunately, Andrew sent me the list of all the points converted to 1984!!!  So, now I don't have to mess with that online program again.

I got online, which was slower than normal, and checked the weather- which doesn't bode well for this weekend and early next week- and means more breeding mosquitoes.  Ugh.  Before I could do much else, the Internet shut down entirely.  So, I am not really trying to ignore people, the Internet has this power over me!

No comments:

Post a Comment