Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 40- Last day in Belize

Last night, all of us loaded up in Dr. L's truck and went to Belmopan for "open mic night" at Perkup.  It was a blast!  Kayla played "Be My Escape" by Relient K on the guitar.  Then, Kayla and Chris did a rendition of "contemporary translation of dial-up internet in an aboriginal setting".  They accomplished this using a keyboard Chris bought here, nick-named the Awesome Machine, and a cardboard tube that Kayla used like a wind instrument to create some pretty cool sounds.  We came home and went right to bed for the next day!

The whole group (minus Steve and me) wore ties/fancy headbands for "formal friday".  I was going to create a tie from pink neon flagging tape, but, the chore of getting out the door with everything spoiled my plans.  The students got Dr. L and tiara and she enjoyed wearing it around the field.  This morning, we went back out to the field and finished up filling in the test pit.  I was on the shovels for a grand total of maybe 10 minutes until Ernesto asked kindly if he could have it.  So, I was on bucket duty for most of the rest of our 1 1/2 hours backfilling.  We finished up right when it started to rain.  Five of our group decided that they were so happy that the backfilling was done that they rolled around and tackled each other in the mud and threw balls of it at each other.  The other six of us laughed at them and some took pics of it all.  We took all the field stuff to a creek at Yalbac and washed it, and then took a smashing group photo with Dr. L's camera.  We took all of this over to Mr. Scott's house (where we got all the field stuff at, at the beginning of the field school, and dropped it off there, after oiling the trowels, shovels and pick-a-hoes.  We got back to Banana Bank before noon and had time to change clothes before going to the river near Banana Bank to clean the truck inside and out.  The river has some fish that eat the dead skin off your feet, so, I waded in and stood still- it was a very interesting feeling to have your feet nibbled at by a number of little fish!

Then, we all rode back to Banana Bank and I started laundry for all my nasty clothes and washed off my boots- which were packed with mud.  At four, we are going to Ernesto's to have one last farewell with the guys.  From there, we will come back and have a final meal at Banana Bank.  We have been sharing Banana Bank the past few days with a hippie wedding party- over 20 of them traveled here.  They are very interesting people and it makes me miss the sunset concerts and my hippieish friends!  Steve and I will share the last of our 5 mangoes for a dollar we bought at the market last week.

We have to meet the taxi tomorrow morning at 7:30 am and he will take us directly to Belize City to the airport.  Several of the students have flights around 11 and then the rest will wait until our 1:55 flight.  Most are going to Miami, and I think two are going to Dallas.  It will be a sad farewell to everyone we have come to know very well over the last six weeks.  I started charging my cell earlier today- will be interesting to readjust to using it so often when I really haven't touched it since mid-May. 

No comments:

Post a Comment