Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 22- Party in a bottle- I found rootbeer!

So, I always fill up my water bottles in the morning, always.  The day our water mysteriously shut off and we had to raid Dr. L's abode was hard, but, I still managed to always fill mine up the morning of.  Last night, I had this weird sense of foreboding and this undying urge to fill up my water bottles.  Still don't know why, but, I am very impulsive and listen to those little voices in my head and filled them both up- I was completely empty.  As it so happened, we woke up to no water anywhere, not at Dr. L's, not at the dining hall, nowhere.  So, we ended up filling up one of our big jugs of water at Ernesto's and then people just poured from there.

We had another good field day and Tara- who is pumped about what I do so she makes me more excited- worked with me again today.  We finished our map from last week, mapped another little section, and then started mapping an area that I messed up before- I now don't trust myself to map at all!  The weather was slightly cooler and, since we have had no rain, there were less mosquitoes.  When we had just reached the site, I smelled something really amazing- like flowers mixed with deet almost.  It is weird, but, you learn to appreciate scents that are not sweat and grime.  As I walked to the field, I realized it was Cleofo!

We had a 15 minute change when we got back to Banana Bank and then off to town.  We got our passports back from being stamped again and tried to go to the bank- but both of them were closed all ready.  I printed out my new plant list in a paper shop; it will help Dr. L when she presents what I have found thus far.  I did some other small errands and found myself across town where we normally hang out- because Dr. L has this cafe that she uses Internet at and gets smoothies from.  I have been craving rootbeer and finally managed to find some!  It was a good day. 

We had another 15 minute change before supper by the time we returned home, during which time I pressed plants and recorded them.  The Internet is still not what it should be, but, at least it is there!  And it allowed me to get some needed work done, so, that made me excited!

Random side-note: so, I was coming out of a tomb in Caracol and my sunglasses slipped out of my shirt- where I was storing them- and onto the stairs in front of me.  I stepped on them and it broke.  However, a little later, Hannah found a pair of sunglasses that someone had lost and gave them to me.  I figured out that I now own two pairs of sunglasses that I just happened to find someplace- didn't have to pay for them.  Very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment