Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 26- My first day of rest!

I celebrated the beginning of my three-day weekend by waking up incredibly late (at 8:20 am).  I actually intended to only sleep in until 8, but then i fell asleep again and didn't actually get up when I should have.  I peeled and ate the mango that I had been saving from our market run last week and it tasted like my favorite type of grape, so, I was happy about that.

I have a big paper due for a contest on Tuesday.  I had it written down in my Dawg Book (yes, I still own one of those even- once a Saluki, always a.....), but hadn't really looked at my Dawg Book until last week, when I realized it was due.  Being myself and being overloaded with work during the week, I didn't start it until two days ago, but managed to miraculously finish it today!!!  I turned it in to my advisers for edits, and we shall see how that goes.  I also have an abstract due, which I also churned out just a few minutes ago, and I updated my plant list with the new ones gathered this week- so, progressive day all around!

I went into town with Dr. L and had zero trouble with traveler's checks (everyone else from our group always has trouble so I was so happy!).  I then set out to find an elusive building that sells topo maps of Belize with the UTM coordinates on the sides.  Dr. L has one and it looked fab, so, she advised me to get one.  I went to the building with land (something or other) on the side of it, but, that wasn't the correct one.  I then walked until I found a police officer, who said that it was a 15 minute walk away- the farthest building of the governmental buildings.  So, I walked to that one- pretty building by the way.  I waited at the reception desk and finally was told that it was the next building over, so, I went to the "NEMO" building.  They told me that it was at the "Ministry of Natural Resources" building, next to where I had originally started from.  I went to that one, walked to the door that I needed to go into and was helped by a guy who didn't know today's date- I helped him out by reminding him that the World Cup started today.  And then we talked soccer and scores and my lack of a t.v.  He gave me a receipt for my map- which he still had to find- and I went to the cashier.  This was around 3:45- the cashier closed down at 3:30.  I kept knocking until someone came to deal with the random white girl.  The guy told me, over and over again because I was insistent, that they had already closed for the day and counted all the money and balanced everything and he couldn't help me- not even with a receipt, not with it only being 15 minutes past closing, and not with them being closed all weekend (I will be unable to go there until at least Wednesday).  It ended up being ok because my little soccer friend couldn't find my map anywhere.  So, it was a good thing I didn't pay for a map they didn't have!

I walked to where Dr. L was- at Perkup Cafe, and bought some small items around there- including an amazing donut from a pastry shop!  I tried the peanut-butter smoothie and it was pretty good (Dr. L is addicted to them), and had a Klondike bar (of all things).

At Perkup, we met a lady that Dr. L met at Banana Bank during last year's field season.  She is probably in her mid-forties and had a little 2-year-old toddling around the cafe.  She came and talked to us, but Dr. L already knew most of her story from her encounter 2 years ago.  The lady had come with her husband 2 years ago to adopt the little boy, but were told that they couldn't bring him back to the US- because of our sad immigration policy that takes forever to work through.  So, they appealed and still haven't been able to get back to the US.  She stayed with the little boy and eventually bought a house in Belmopan and a car.  Her husband went back to work in the US and visits whenever possible (he is now funding their houses in 2 countries as well as lawyer bills).  They also have a couple of 20s kids who visit their little bro and Mom in Belize whenever they are on break from the University.  They are now working to get the boy adopted locally in Belize- which is amazing because they generally only allow nationals to adopt.  Hopefully, the new lawyer they have can help this lady get back to her family- hopefully.

And that was my day.  I have the room to myself and have had much progress both relaxing and working.  Am already enjoying my weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment