Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 27- Waking up to an open door

I meant to wake up at 8 today, honest I did.  But, I was still asleep at 7:54am when the lock on my door jingled and then the door itself swung open.  With my other 2 roomies gone, and it being a Saturday morning and all, I didn't expect any visitors.  I lay there processing all this in my groggy state, staring at this lady walking into my room- her figure shielded by my mosquito curtain.  Once she said "sorry" but continued to wander around the other side of my room- leaving the door open which let in the sunlight- I began to realize that this was the cleaning lady.  She left without my sheets- which I bundled up for her and delivered to her after I woke up and got going.  She came back in a couple of hours later and I discovered that she could only speak limited English, and I no Spanish, so, it was an interesting time.  Somehow, she managed to convey to me about her kids and husband and I could tell that I could have gotten an even longer story if I had only remembered more Spanish!

I got more work done today and managed to watch Soccer in FIFA, while chatting with my soccer-fanatic/sports fanatic friends to help me fill in the blanks left behind by the online play-by-play.  Could you believe that USA vs. England game?!  Also got to talk to my Granny for the first time in ages!!!  Missed her so much- and Grandpa Jay too :(  There are things that I am now becoming very homesick for, along with other things that I am thankful to be in Belize for!  Life is funny like that.

I went to supper and Mr. Carr, who owns Banana Bank with his wife and is good friends with Dr. L, saw that I wasn't eating the chicken enchiladas and had the cook make me some stir-fry veggies- all for me!  And I also got some banana bread.  He was worried that I hadn't had enough to eat- I guess he didn't realize that I have been eating like this all field school and doing just fine :)  My vegetarianism launched him into questioning how long I had been "eating healthy" and that he wants to start an organic garden and help people in Belize get over the obesity epidemic and that I would be a good one to hire since I am skinny, etc.  He is a very funny man.

No comments:

Post a Comment