Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 31- Exploring Belmopan, Baby

Update from last night:
Dr. L was so excited about my progress with the Ministry of Natural Resources.  So, I was in a super mood for the rest of the evening.  She didn't tell me, but, she expected it to be a big hassle and for them to deny me if not seriously delay me.  So, everything going wonderfully was really a huge deal that was totally unexpected.  Also, on my way home, I got a 27-year-old driver who wanted to sit at the edge of the river leading to Banana Bank 30 minutes and tell me his life story.  I keep being convinced that people here are just overly friendly- he even told me about his love interest (Melissa from the Peace Corps).  His parents were shot to death in their business and he had to take care of his 2 younger siblings- which he is still doing right now.  Since the education here is not free, he is putting his siblings through school.  After that, he will try to go back to school.  His parents were killed because they were rich, so, after he sold his family's stuff, he was able to buy a place here in Belmopan and start out as a taxi driver, and had to quit school.  He says he knows who killed them, because they threatened him too.  Then, recently apparently, he met Melissa.  It sounds sweet and she wants him to visit her in the US, but, he says she should come here since he can't afford it right now.  People everywhere are just willing to give you their ENTIRE life's story.  Crazy

Today:
I went to get Dr. L's phone and was met with a chorus of "you staying here AGAIN??"  I know it seems unfair that I get to have "all the fun" in town, while they are all working hard in the field.  I got the same cab driver to take me to town- the one from the morning.  He asked me again if I liked Belize and when I told him I did, he said he would find me a Belizian boyfriend so I will stay here.  He also wants to be the one to drop me off at the bus stop on the day I leave- he seemed really excited about that which I found adorably funny (bear in mind that he has a child my age).  He also told me that, about 20 years ago, he tried to get into the US- illegally- and was kicked back to Belize and hasn't tried again.

I walked around the market and got a carton of milk and watched a few minutes of the soccer game and then walked toward the Forestry building.  As is customary when I am nervous about an engagement, I was horrendously early.  I changed shoes outside the building and went inside, sat down on a chair, and started reading my novel- I will finish it today- I PROMISE!  They got right on my permit- even though I was so early (about 20 or 25 minutes early) and I got it in under and hour- when they were still working on it when I got there.  One of the guys is so excited about my project that he wants to stay in touch and even come out with me next year a bit.  He says plants are his specialty.  By the time I reached the Forestry Office, I had been talked to by random guys 5 times- I kept track up until that point.

Then, I went to get some pics of the Choc family developed for Dr. L and the guy there (who was about 50 or so) wouldn't call me anything but "baby".  Is this what you want, baby?  Is this good, baby?  Baby, you act just like my Mom (that one was interesting).  I was called "baby" again by another guy when I stopped to let him pass on his bike.  I got sharpies for Dr. L and the cashier (who gets along with me wonderfully) asked me if I lived in Belmopan.  I also got my money back from the bank whose ATM ate it (they trusted that I really didn't get it and gave it to me early).

I went back to the Taiwanese restaurant and got a different, but equally amazing, dish that I finished just about an hour ago (when hunger re-emerged).  I was wearing a dress that I got there yesterday and when the owner saw me in it, her face lit up.  The girl who worked there said it just fit- and it kind of does- I rather like it.  I ate with a bunch of Taiwanese people and felt right at home!  Then, I wandered through the shops in Belmopan and saw lots of people and items and bought nothing.  Good day!  I was told not to be afraid by a couple of guys who obviously had nothing else to say to me.  "Hey lady, you don't need to be afraid......"  Weird people!

I found a sweet grocery store and then spent the rest of my day here at the internet cafe- lovely day!  I got split pea soup- which is more like hominy, potatoes and corn soup- and watermelon juice.  Yummy!!!  Tomorrow, back to the field with me.

Funniest comment of the day (context- it had just started raining and I was on my way to the restaurant and had my umbrella unfolding)-
Taxi driver: You need a taxi?
Me: No
Taxi driver: You need one.  You're gonna get wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment