Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 19- Attack of the bugs

Last night, as I was trying to fall asleep, I felt something nudging my foot.  I thought at first it was my imagination- you tend to imagine yourself swarming with bugs all the time after a couple of days, and we call it paranoia.  But, this was actually persistent and was firm and cold and smooth.  I just about freaked out- thinking it was a snake.  Luckily, upon flashlight investigation, it was only a little hard-shelled bug- about the size of a quarter or so.  So, I flicked it out of my bed and went to sleep.  When Elle and Molly woke up this morning to join Dr. L in the field, I again felt a little nudge on my feet.  Weird feet-loving mongrels!  So, I threw the second one out onto the floor.  When I went into our bathroom, I found a huge cockroach sitting on top of one of my bottles, so, I took him on a ride to the door.  On my way back inside, I found the same dumb hard-shelled bug trying to crawl up my bed-skirt back onto my bed.  I picked him up and threw him out the door too.

Steve got bitten so much yesterday (by mosquitoes and blood-drawing flies) that, when I found him this morning, he was dressed up like he was going out into the field.  He declared that he wasn't going to let them get him again, he just wasn't!

Today was another productive day.  I finished photographing my specimen, tagged the ones for the drier, checked photographs, and actually started identifying specimen!  So, it was a very good day.  After the students got down washing the rest of the artifacts, 7 of us went to town.  It was a good experience, as always.  I got Skittles (they gave me a refrigerated bag, because of the heat) and rice to attempt to dry out my water-logged ipod.  So, right now, it is sitting in a bag full of rice.  We were dropped off at the river and got swarmed by mosquitoes while waiting for the boat man to come pick us up and take us back to Banana Bank.

I worked more on plant identification and trying to find an out-of-print, not found anywhere book that I really want : "The ABC's to the Vegetation of Belize".  Oh well.  I finally got a chance to chat with Mom again!  Yay!  And upload photos to Facebook- finally.

Tomorrow, we are going to Caracol to see those Maya ruins.  I can't wait.  I will try to take lots of pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment