Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 37- Visit to BAHA

My day started when I walked outside in time to wave goodbye to everyone and then walked right back inside again.  Ten minutes later, I was officially up and packing my specimen into boxes for the ag man.  I caught the taxi at 7:45- the same taxi that I always have from Banana Bank to Belmopan.  It's my last known taxi trip into town, and I think he thought the same because he gave me a little souvenir before I left- a little cup with Guatemala on it.  He dropped me off at BAHA (Belize Agricultural Health Authority) with my 2 boxes at 8 and I waited until 8:20 when the man I had an appointment with finally arrived.  He checked over my plants and told me to use a hairdryer to get rid of the bugs- since I had been drying them with a light, the bugs had swarmed to the light and flooded my plants.  Not a huge deal- and he ended up signing a form saying I can leave!!!  He knows one of the guys who runs the farms around Banana Bank- a Coloradan named Nathan.  Luckily, he also gave me a ride into town so I could complete the rest of my errands, and let me keep my specimen boxes in the lobby so I didn't have to pack them around all day.  I finally found mothballs!!!  And a somewhat-expensive but necessary blow-dryer.

I got my errands done and ended up back at BAHA with another taxi a little before 1, when the office was closed, but the door was magically still open.  I got here, got stuff drying again and pressed and then started helping everyone label artifacts, which we did until 5.  The blow-dryer worked like a charm and dried everything right up.  The lamp (drier #1) didn't work really at all, the light bulb and rack (#2) worked mostly, and the blow dryer (#3) worked wonders in a few hours.  It did better than them all- it was incredible!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment