Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 32- Return to the Field

Little notes from previous days I forget to add!
Tuesday: So, I bought a small file folder to keep my money in (you know, the wallet sized ones).  And it is tan and I love it, but, it needed a little help getting lively.  So, I bought a Sharpie on Tuesday and decorated it!!!  It is officially mine :)

Wednesday: While eating at the Taiwanese restaurant, an Amish guy entered and was peddling homemade cheese from door to door.  It looked lovely, but, of course, I have no fridge and it would spoil if I tried to keep it.  While the cashier was talking the cheese over with her boss, the Amish guy and I carried on a very interesting conversation.  He looked in his mid-twenties and was originally from the States- his family now lives in Missouri.  He was a red-head with a little beard action and he said that he had been the oldest of 8(9?)  and was homeschooled.  He had come here as the "black sheep" of the family because he wanted to be more conservative and join the Mennonites.  But, because they didn't really believe in baptism by immersion, he was forced out of the community and sought refuge with the Amish.  He regained his "ok" status with his family when all of his younger siblings turned liberal.

Today: I actually went back to the field and started working again.  I told Cleofo what I needed and, while he scoured the jungle, I helped Hannah map her pit.  Then, we started digging up the rocks in the bottom of the pit, and they were so big, and so heavy, and so immovable that I gave up rather quickly when I started finding artifacts in the walls!!  So, Dr. L jokingly scolded me for not sticking to task and digging in a different layer than I was supposed to.  So, we started then to excavate the area that I had already been excavating and that was the rest of the day.  Juan Antonio helped us move some of the bigger rocks on our way down the wall (the ones on the floor stayed) and Hannah and I debated over which one of us spoke more Spanish and could tell him when to stop.  It was decided that I did, and somehow, I got the message across.  I also remembered another word of Spanish to tell the guy at the restaurant which soda to give me!  Score :)

No comments:

Post a Comment